Smart ways to save money for college
Updated on January 17, 2020
Tuition costs are on the rise each year, making it difficult for students to stay on a budget and afford to go to college. Many students are thus forced to take out student loans to pay their way through college.
While student loans are is a viable option for many people seeking financial help, it can be a significant burden in the future. For example, if you fail to repay your federal student loan on time, it can lead to default, which affects your credit score.
Additionally, student loan debts are becoming a massive problem in the States as more and more graduates are unable to make timely payments. At this rate, graduates will be lucky if they can pay off their loans before their children start college.
Luckily, there are ways you can save up for college to ease your finances while you study. This way, even if you have to take out a federal student loan, the amount won’t be as high, enabling you to pay it off quickly.
How to save for college
How you save money for college depends on your income and how early you begin. For example, if you start an education fund when your child is still in middle school, you probably have a lot of time to stack up some cash.
Here are some other ways you can save up for college.
1. Avoid buying new textbooks as they can be costly. Instead, try and borrow books from other students or the university library. Alternatively, you can rent books online or purchase used ones.
2. Always walk around with your student ID to get discounts on clothes, notebook computers, and meals.
3. Try working before joining college to save up some cash for basic necessities.
4. Once you are enrolled, look for cheap housing to save on rent. For example, it’s cheaper to live in dorms than off-campus.
5. Avoid owning a car as it will cost you more when it comes to insurance, parking fees, and gas.
All these tips will ensure you have some extra cash at hand to avoid taking out a high student loan amount. Student Loanify can help you find student loans suitable for you. Contact us today to learn more about our services.